6th April 2019
Martello Tower No. 24 in Dymchurch High Street was one of 74 towers built along the south coast between 1805 and 1812 to resist the threatened French invasion. It has been restored to its original design and contains replica gunpowder barrels and a 24 pounder muzzle-loading cannon on the gun platform. Of all the Martello Towers remaining, Martello24 is closest to its original condition and it can be seen as it was when occupied by the military in 1806. There are only two other towers of the original 74 built in Kent and East Sussex that are open to the public, Martello Towers No.73 in Eastbourne and No. 74 in Seaford.
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome